Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sheldon's Holiday Gift Guide


In the last few weeks, Black Sheep has been making gift suggestions for the film lovers in your life in the interest of making your lives easier. We've been looking at first run releases, catalog releases and throwing in helpful suggestions of what I want, I mean, what Sheldon the Sheep wants under his tree. With a few days left before the big day, you are in luck. There are three great releases out today and you'll never guess what ... Sheldon wants all three of them!

(500) DAYS OF SUMMER
I was fortunate enough to catch this delightful indie date flick twice in theatres. One of those occasions was even a on a date! The BD release contains a bunch of deleted and extended scenes as well some of the days of summer that we didn't see in theatres. It even contains an online piece stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel put together to promote the film where they reenacted a scene as Sid & Nancy, where Gordon-Levitt was Nancy! This romantic comedy is fresh and uplifiting. It is perfect for a warm night by the fire with someone you love.

FAMILY GUY PRESENTS: SOMETHING, SOMETHING, SOMETHING DARKSIDE
It's been years but I have still not tired of the insane antics of the FAMILY GUY. Now, parents, this is a great gift for your teenagers. The chances are they love FAMILY GUY and this second installment of the STAR WARS spoof series has never aired on television. It runs about 45 minutes long and as it comes out just a few days before Christmas, the chances are that your kids won't have seen it by the time they open their stockings. Their first installment was hilarious so my hopes are high for this one.

DISTRICT 9
Although I have not yet made my top 10 list for 2009, I would be surprised not to see DISTRICT 9 on it. This film floored me when I saw it. It was so well thought out, so insightful and just so darn unexpected at every turn, I genuinely felt like I was transported to an alternate reality when I watched it. As far as a gift goes, this has the IT factor and would make a great gift for any guy who has a little bit of a sci-fi geek in him, no matter how small. I hope this film gets some unexpected awards love this year.

Happy shopping, folks! Good luck getting out of there uninjured.