Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tis the Season: The Toronto Film Critics Association

Seeing as how I moved to Toronto earlier this year, I figure it would be best to feature their picks for the best films of 2009. It doesn't hurt that I actually agree whole heartedly with their decisions. This has nothing to do with my wanting to be accepted into the association in 2010. I swear.

I may not have loved INGLORIOUS BASTERDS but I can certainly appreciate everything that director, Quentin Tarantino, was able to accomplish with this confidant film. Toronto has named it the Best Picture of 2009 but they have also decided that it must share that honour with Steve McQueen's 2008 film, HUNGER. The reason HUNGER is being honoured this year and not last is because it did not see a Canadian release before April of this year. My being Canadian, I did not catch it until this year either and you can be sure HUNGER will be amongst my top picks for the year as well. They continued to spread the love with director honours going to neither of these helmers but rather, Kathryn Bigelow, for THE HURT LOCKER.

Here is a full list of honourees ... Click on any of the highlighted titles for the Black Sheep review.

BEST PICTURE
(Tie)

HUNGER
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

BEST DIRECTOR

Kathryn Bigelow, THE HURT LOCKER

BEST SCREENPLAY
(Tie)

INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
UP IN THE AIR

BEST ACTOR

Nicolas Cage, THE BAD LIEUTENANT

BEST ACTRESS

Carey Mulligan, AN EDUCATION

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Anna Kendrick, UP IN THE AIR

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christoph Waltz, INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

FANTASTIC MR. FOX

BEST DOCUMENTARY

THE COVE

Source: Variety