Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Images of MURDER

Horror is a very image-driven genre, centered as it is on eliciting primal emotional responses. And so, it's perfectly suited to the brand-new meme bouncin' around the blog-o-sphere, on which yours truly has been tagged. That's because it's an image-based meme, in which bloggers are urged to come up with a series of screen grabs, all focusing on a specific theme. The whole thing was kicked off a little while back over at the blog Checking on My Sausages, and I got pulled in after being tagged by my dear colleagues/readers Leopard13 of Lazy Thoughts from a Boomer and John Kenneth Muir of Reflections on Film/TV.

Seeing as this is a horror blog, don't be expecting this thing to resemble an Anne Geddes calendar. The theme I chose goes to the very root of what I believe makes horror horror--the fear of death. Or more specifically in horror's case, the fear of being killed. And so I've chosen a whole bunch of scenes of people being offed which I found particularly striking.

But before I get to that, I must get to this. As one of the conditions, I must now tag five other bloggers to continue the meme if they so choose. And so I select:

BJ-C at Day of the Woman
Andre Dumas at The Horror Digest
T.L. Bugg at The Lightning Bug's Lair
Stacie Ponder at Final Girl
C.L. Hadden at Fascination with Fear

And now, bring on the murder...

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Creature with the Atom Brain (1955)

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part III: The Dream Warriors (1987)

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

The House by the Cemetery (1981)

Frankenstein (1931)

Day of the Dead (1985)

Halloween (1978)

The Invisible Man (1933)

Grace (2009)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)

Nosferatu (1922)

Zombi 2 (1979)

Theater of Blood (1973)

The Shining (1980)

The Return of the Living Dead (1984)

Alien (1979)

That was some pretty heavy, grim stuff, wouldn't you say? Maybe we should cleanse the palate with this:


Awwwwwwwww. Much better.