Sunday, September 7, 2008

Alex Pardee New Book Awful Homesick


Alex Pardee, a long-time fave at ESPVisuals, is releasing a a new book entitled, 'Awful Homesick" in conjunction with Upper Playground later this month. Weighing in at a 100 full-colour pages, hardbound and costing approx. 12 GBP, I'm sure it won't disappoint.

This is what Alex had to say:
"I have always dreamed of having my own art book. In the early 90's, I bought a small Taschen "HR GIGER" book for 9 dollars because it was damaged. I studied that thing. It was incredible, and oddly sexy. To see one of his paintings was mind-blowing enough, but to see them all collected in one Bible (this was before the internet don't forget) basically made me pee. Since then, I constantly imagined what it would feel like to have enough work to fill even a small book like that. "Well, shit, I've got a way to go, he's like 80 years old!" I said to myself. "I will NEVER get a book out!"


Now, thanks to Upper Playground and their faith in my work, as they release "AWFUL / HOMESICK", I am 50 fucking years AHEAD of HR GIGER!!! Sure, he's revolutionized a surreal movement, given life to the ancient airbrush, has designed some of the most iconic and famous movie sets and monsters, and shown (and been banned) in museums all over the world (and probably in space), and is probably rich enough to buy his own original art, but DID UPPER PLAYGROUND RELEASE HIS FIRST BOOK FIFTY YEARS AGO!!!??? Nope. So I win."